Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tony Yayo Stunts On Interscope, "We're Gonna Drop These Independent Records" [Video]

G-Unit's Tony Yayo recently shared the differences between independent and major record labels and said he is receiving more exposure since parting ways with Interscope.








According to the "Talk of New York," rappers and record labels are no longer pursuing multi-million dollar investments.



"If I was still on Interscope, I would say I would probably have to wait a long process to get my mixtape on iTunes," Yayo explained to DJ Green Lantern. "And now my mixtape's on iTunes, go pick it up -- I get my bread faster instead of waiting on the label to make moves for me. Them days is dead...We're gonna drop these independent records this summer, it's more money for me anyway, so, it's a beautiful thing. It's the do it yourself [era]. Eh yo, all those Hype Williams days are over. N*ggas used to spend half a million for a video. Now -- my videos are done in five minutes." (DJ Green Lantern TV)

The Unit's Lloyd Banks previously explained why he broke away from Interscope Records.



"I was ready to make a move," Banks said about leaving the powerhouse label. "I'm a brand-new engine. If anything, it's their loss. It's been a dark shadow cast upon that. That's why you hear [Funkmaster] Flex on the radio [boycotting Interscope], because it's an aura created around that machine, and the artists automatically get smacked in the head...I felt it's time for me to go somewhere where it's not biased and I get a fair shot. There's a lot of stuff on the table right now. You don't wanna speak about it until it gets ironed out all the way...Everything happened for a reason. I feel like I'm so blessed because of my work ethic and how easy the music is coming to me. It feels so good to be an independent artist with a brand. I have direct deals with iTunes and things of that nature, where it's direct money coming to me. It's 50 percent of me that's not pressed to be on a major. (MTV)

Grammy-winning rapper Lupe Fiasco recently advised rap newcomers to pursue independent careers.



"Stay independent, if you can finance yourself, you put in that work ethic and do it on your own, I definitely think you should try that route," Lupe explained in an interview. "[At least] before you go into the professional kind of realm. But each one has its pros and cons. Sometimes it comes down to finance. You can't say that to a broke n*gga. Somebody flashing 50, 60 thousand dollars -- that means a lot, especially these days...You gotta do what's best for you but I definitely think that if you can muster it up and you got your focus and work ethic at least, you can pull something on your own." (All Hip Hop)

Prior to signing with Universal Motown imprint Young Money, Drake contemplated remaining an independent artist last summer.



"I think if I did put out an album with no label, I think I could really prove a point which is the changing of a generation," he said. "I feel like if I sign to a label and go platinum the first week, they'll be like 'Oh, it was the label push,' but if I did it without, people might say this is really changing, the Internet is a powerful tool. And when you use it the right way, you can make magic happen. I really think it would be legendary, I don't know how possible it is, because there's different things you have to consider like distribution, marketing budget and what not. But we have a pretty strong team so I'ma see if we can make it happen." (Semtex TV)

No comments:

Post a Comment