Sunday, December 27, 2009

?"Memphis Bleek Defends Not Joining Jay-Z's Roc Nation, "What Am I Getting Out Of That



Memphis Bleek has discussed his reasons for not joining Jay-Z's Roc Nation and explained how he is out for himself these days.




According to Bleek, he would rather prove his own success without being Hov's artist.



"I coulda went to Roc Nation, but then what am I getting out of that?," Bleek asked in an interview. "Another $150,000 check advance, then I come out [and] sell 300,000 probably, somebody makes two or three million, and I gotta mess with the fact that they gon' say yo you bricked out? Like that's the industry. And that's [with a label run by] my homie. Now if [it's] somebody else, [they] might not even get a 150 [thousand dollar] advance, they probably go get 30. And plus I'd rather be on my own, fam. I been in the game, like you said a decade now, I know what to do; I know what not to do. It's time for me to have my own record [label]. I got a lot of n*ggas behind me that's ready to get they shot. And me being behind Jay, they ain't gonna never get they shot." (Hip Hop DX)

Earlier this year, Bleek confirmed no longer being under contract with Def Jam.



"[The album] is called The Process," Bleek revealed in an interview. "Same album I was working on when everybody was under the Def Jam structure. But once Jay moved and did the Roc Nation thing, I hollered at him and told him I wanted to create my own umbrella to be a branch off Roc Nation...I don't want to be under Jay-Z's shadow forever. I feel like I'm gonna get criticized for that forever. So, yeah. It's one reason I want to do the Get Low thing. People will respect me more if I can show them I know how to walk on my own two. But I still got the big homie. He's setting up meetings with every distribution company for me. I'm just trying to see what's the best fit." (Vibe)

Bleek previously spoke on his label status and why he parted ways with Def Jam.



"Jay's the kindest n*gga that walk the face of this earth and everything ain't money," Bleek said in an interview. "N*gga gave everybody he knew that he came up with rhyming with opportunity, that's all you can ask for...You know Hov broke bread...I left Def Jam...I had options to put out another album on Def Jam but then I had a meeting with him and he made it real clear to me, 'Why do that, you got the opportunity right now to run your own company. I'ma get you the distribution deal for Get Low Records, you sign your artists, drop your albums under Get Low and I'ma still executive produce.'" (Hip Hop Beef)

He also hit up SOHH last year to discuss the concept behind Get Low.



"Roc-A-Fella for life," Bleek affirmed. "Even though Roc-A-Fella's in the blood, [Jay] gave me the opportunity to step out and make Get Low Records for my own company and really get all the proceeds, make all the money from my projects. And I don't think nobody right now, nobody's boss would let them do that in the position I'm in and still be on stage with them touring." (SOHH)

No comments:

Post a Comment