Monday, January 18, 2010

Jermaine Dupri & Mariah Carey's "We Belong" Named Top Decade Song, "I'm Really Speechless"


Producer Jermaine "JD" Dupri has addressed his 2005 Mariah Carey hit single, "We Belong Together" being named the top song of the decade.




According to JD, he has always had chemistry with Mariah.



"This was part of a second batch of songs we worked on when she did come back," he said in an interview. "We wrote it together. Most of the time when I make records with Mariah, I basically write them while she's there in the studio. She's a super-prolific writer. And that's how we've always collaborated. She gives me the vibe for the kind of record she's looking for, then we start playing different chords and keys to see where we're headed. There are people who think she's singing as hard as she ever did, because they hadn't heard her like that in a long time...I'm really speechless that the song was able to connect to so many different people. My style of production does not sound like pop music when you first hear it. Fortunately, they end up going that way. I had no idea what it was going to do; I just knew it was a good Mariah record. In my mind, it doesn't sound like the song of the decade--it's too different. It doesn't sound like anything else." (Hits Daily Double)

He was recently named one of the top producers of the decade.



Hot 100 Producers: 1. The Neptunes 2. Timbaland 3. Kanye West 4. Scott Storch 5. Will.i.am 6. Jonathan "Lil Jon" Smith 7. Stargate 8. Bryant-Michael Cox 9. Jermaine Dupri 10. Dr. Luke (Billboard Biz)

Outside of music, JD recently spoke on not visiting associate/rapper Da Brat in prison.



"I spoke to her via letters back and forth and she's good. She's ready to come home and do what she gotta do," Jermaine Dupri told V-103's Ryan Cameron. "We are basically on the move to try and get her out...Those [critics], they don't really know me like that to say nothing about what I'm doing with my personal situation with Da Brat. When Brat come home, I am going to be the person that takes care of her and make sure she gets back on her feet and do what she gotta...that's just like everybody talking about Tiger Woods. We know nothing about the situation and everybody should shut up...I felt a certain way about seeing Brat in jail. That's my little sister and I don't really want to deal with that situation like that. I would prefer dealing with getting her out and seeing that day as opposed to going to see her...only reason I am saying this on the air is because I explained this to Brat. In my letter, I let her know the same thing." (All Hip Hop)

Brat was given a three year prison sentence in 2008 on an assault conviction.



Da Brat, born Shawntae Harris, copped a guilty plea to aggravated assault today (August 22) in a DeKalb County courtroom. In addition to the jail time, Superior Court Judge Gail Flake also sentenced the rapper to seven years probation and 200 hours of community service. Upon leaving the courtroom the popular '90s rapper - known for her collaborations with hip-hop mogul Jermaine Dupri as well as her stints in a string of VH1 reality shows - appeared confident. "I love y'all," she said to about six weeping relatives as they replied, "We love you too." (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)


No comments:

Post a Comment