Monday, January 18, 2010

Mosley vs Berto Cancelled


LOS ANGELES/NEW YORK (January 18, 2010) – WBC Welterweight World Champion Andre Berto stated in a personal press release earlier today that due to the catastrophic earthquake that struck Haiti and deeply affected his family who resides there, he is physically and emotionally unable to prepare for his Saturday, Jan. 30 bout with WBA Welterweight World Champion Sugar Shane Mosley and, as a result, will withdraw from the bout.




Given the close proximity to the date of the event and the difficulty in finding a suitable replacement for Berto, the event will be cancelled entirely.





Mosley commented from his training camp in Big Bear, Calif. and said, “I’m disappointed that the fight has been called off, but I understand that Andre is going through a very difficult time. My heart goes out to him, his family and the people of Haiti during the aftermath of this terrible tragedy. I’m sorry for the losses that Andre and all of the Haitian people are suffering. I have everyone in my prayers.”



All tickets previously purchased for the Mosley-Berto fight can be refunded at the original point of sale.



The thoughts and prayers of Shane Mosley, Golden Boy Promotions, DiBella Entertainment, the MGM MIRAGE family, HBO and the boxing world are all with Berto, his family and the people of Haiti as well.



Andre Berto Statement



Since the 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday evening, I have been focusing on my family and the Haitian people who are facing an inconceivable battle for survival while still trying to continue to prepare for an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood. I lost several family members to the earthquake and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi and her daughter, Jessica survived, but were left homeless. I have seen the pain in my parents’ eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home.



As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout on January 30..



Throughout the past six days, I have received an incredible outpouring of support, and I sincerely appreciate everyone’s prayers for the people of Haiti. I hope that everyone will continue to keep the Haitian people in their thoughts and prayers as we work to rebuild this proud nation. The rebuilding of Haiti is not something that will happen overnight, but I am fully dedicated to helping the Haitian people recover from this catastrophic event

No comments:

Post a Comment