Thursday, January 7, 2010

Freeway Ricky Ross Talks Rapper Rick Ross’ Past, ‘You Can’t Really Knock Him For That’


Former drug kingpin Ricky “Freeway” Ross recently shared his thoughts on rapper Rick Ross not having a past history in the drug game.






Calling Ross’ rap alias “clever,” Freeway also said he was glad the rapper did not experience the same trials and tribulations he went through.



“I just keep pushing, I don’t really trip off of him using my name,” Freeway said in an interview. “I don’t really give it much thought. He was clever with what he did, he made himself a nice piece of money, fortune. I’m thankful that he didn’t have to sell drugs. There’s so many of us out here selling drugs and getting ourselves locked up at least he’s in a position where all he does is rap about it. You know, you can’t really knock him for that. You know, it is what it is. I had nightmares in prison about selling drugs. I’m a selling addict.”



Last November, Freeway justified Ross’ choice to conceal portions of his past.



“What else could he do [except lie], really, could he come out in the hip-hop world and tell ‘em that he was a corrections officer rapping gangster rap or about selling drugs?,” Freeway asked during an interview. “[And] basically living the lifestyle that he had read about in newspapers and books? Who would have went for it? He pulled one over everybody’s head and made his bread. So, it is what it is.”



He recently revealed his ties with Ross’ rap rival, 50 Cent.



“50 Cent called me the day I got out and let me know if there was anything I needed to just let him know,” he explained in an interview. “I don’t know how he got my cell but the morning I got out he called me and expressed his support…[Ross] abruptly stopped taking my phone calls. I didn’t come with my hand out, I came with ideas that I thought could make their career better. I don’t want to be around nobody where I am just getting fed, I want to be somebody that brings substance to the table.” (All Hip Hop Radio)



Freeway previously touched on his distance from the Southern rapper last month.



“My mom stayed on the side of the freeway when I was growing up so it started off as ‘Rick Stay By The Freeway’ until I got in to the drug business it turned into ‘Freeway Rick,’” Ross explained in an interview with ex-radio personality Charlamagne Tha God. “[Rapper] Freeway reached out and told me anything I needed he had me but Rick Ross, he hasn’t reached out to me as of yet. That’s not saying he won’t reach out one day. But as of right now, he hasn’t reached out…I reached out to him and spoke to him a few times and I basically was just telling him that he could be who he is. So he didn’t have to use my name, he could just build a friendship with me. When I was in prison, I wanted him to start coming and seeing me, you know, just getting to know each other. And I told him he could still get his street credibility instead of doing that. We had about three conversations. When we spoke on the phone for the first three times, he paid homage and said he owed me. He told me how he first got the name and the whole nine yards.”

No comments:

Post a Comment