Monday, January 4, 2010

Nick Cannon On The Rap Industry, "It's Definitely Going To A Better Place"


Nick Cannon On The Rap Industry, "It's Definitely Going To A Better Place"Rapper/Actor Nick Cannon has shared his thoughts on the ever-changing condition of the music industry and explained why the rap game, despite low record sales, is moving in a better direction.




Cannon also discussed a few emcees who are catching his attention.



"I like underground rappers -- Cory Gunz is a young kid that's been really doing his thing," Cannon said in an interview. "I'm a Gym Class Heroes type of fan, even though they're not new, but they're definitely trendsetters. The new group, LMFAO -- they do some new electro-hip-hop new sounding stuff...I think it's definitely going to a better place. We've been through our ups and downs, but -people understand that hip-hop is here to stay. What I love about it, and what I feel like it's always maintained and worked through, is being able to have different types of hip-hop, just like different types of rock. I mean, you got your hardcore hip-hop, you got your hipster hip-hop -- it's such a grand culture at this point where it's not just all about the music. So I believe it's in a great place and I believe it's gonna continue to thrive." (Ask Men)

Producer Timbaland recently spoke on moving away from hip-hop.



"I was done with hip-hop a long time ago," he said in an interview. "Once my generation left, I left. I do it, but there's nobody from my generation besides Jay-Z who's doing it. I look at Lil Wayne as being from my generation. Some people are still acceptable. Kanye [West] is acceptable from my generation. It's just not the same. By it not being the same, I kind of fade to black. I did music that fits where I was going to in my age bracket. 'What does Tim listen to in his car all the time?' I love '80s music. So how do I infuse '80s with modern-day music? You Timbo the King, you gotta figure it out. I figured it out a couple of years ago with Nelly [Furtado] and Justin [Timberlake] and myself. We had a tremendous run. I think it was good for me to do it that, because some people would say 'Tim is cold.' The same people who smile in my face would be the same ones to talk behind my back. But I got this run, I'm not gonna stop until I wanna stop." (MTV)

Hitmaker Scott Storch also compared today's rap game to the past.



"I love hip-hop," Storch responded when asked about Tim's decision. "I love all music. In terms of its place in the market. Its not, you know, technically as strong and other [forms] of music. I shouldn't even say that. It's not as strong as it was at one point, dominating like everything. I still there there's gems and plenty of ill hip-hop records to make. Living proof is Jay-Z." (All Hip Hop)

Rappers like Lil Wayne and Eminem have placed age limits for themselves.



"We just haven't found anything that's been the right thing at the right time," Em explained in an interview. "I have to be finished with this album and then I'll probably want to jump into something like that. I don't know if there's a movie where I'll want to be in every single scene again, but something, yeah...It was, 'I don't want to be a rapper when I'm 40,' and the next time we talk it will be, "I don't want to be a rapper when I'm 50." Sixty is the cut-off. I can't be no 60-year-old rapper, son!" (Complex)

Check out Rakim speaking with SOHH about the rap game.



No comments:

Post a Comment